Wednesday, August 13, 2008

busy weeks

Wow, times flies when you're having fun!  The last two weeks have been full of events and travels!  Thomas and Grazyna from Hannover came to visit us last week.  We had a good time seeing things around Schaffhausen.  The traditional tour of our lovely city also had a new element for me.  On a beautiful sunny afternoon we went to Hallau (just 20 min. from Schaffhausen) and got a private tour of the wine cellar there.  Upon inquiring about weather it was open or not the nice gentleman inside opened it up for us!  We were soon given an 1 1/2 hour tour of the place and got to taste the different wines directly from the barrels!  Thomas and Grazyna are quite the wine connoisseurs and said that this spontaneous tour was the best one they'd ever been on.  I don't have any pictures of their visit yet but when I get them I'll be sure to post a few.  :)

Jan and I also travelled to Hannover last week to visit family and friends.  Our 5 days were very packed and it was great to see so many people.  We got to spend a couple of afternoons with Jan's godson Josias.  They particularily had fun in the pool on our first day there.  It was also a lot of fun to watch Jan play with the kids... he had a lot of fun hearing them laugh when he'd throw them around in the water.  


We also travelled up to Hamburg to watch a boogie woogie concert.  To my surprise, a lot of people do not know the style of boogie woogie.  I guess I wasn't even so familiar with it myself because it is just not talked about that much.  What I do think though is that people know it mostly from just hearing it and not necessarily from the name.  It is the kind of jazzy, bluesy piano that you can't help but move too.  The concert lasted 4 1/2 hours and we saw 17 different boogie woogie musicians!  We had a lot of fun and now I am better acquainted with the boogie woogie ins and outs.  

Greetings to everyone in Hannover!  We had a great time visiting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love boogie woogie! Robert Wells is a swedish piano player who plays a lot of boogie woogie. "Rhapsody in Rock" is probably one of his more known songs. Anyways I love it!

j

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Thought of you the other day. One of the classrooms I teach in also holds German classes. So, there is a whole wall of German stuff. The funniest are the Snoopy/Peanuts cartoons in German!
Shie-