
Last weekend Jan and I had our second visitor to our new home. It was a wonderful weekend with Michael spending time in conversation and seeing some new sights. On Friday we traveled down to Luzern expecting to see the Alps but they were hidden by the thick cloud coverage. We passed a few hours in the beautiful old city looking at the old town wall with the 9 different watchtowers and the beautiful architecture. Finally the clouds lifted and we decided to take the gondola up to the top of the Pilatus.

It would have been easy to spend all day on top of the mountain taking in the beauty all around. There is also a hotel, restaurant and gift shop there too. At the top of the Pilatus we were at 7,000 ft (about 2,100 meters).
The top of the the Pilatus is also the home to the world's longest alp horn!
(The picture does not do it justice since it is so tall.)

Saturday we went to the market here in Schaffhausen and then took the train to Stein am Rhein and took the boat back to Schaffhausen. It was a gorgeous day to enjoy the nature once again surrounding us. Between the gondola and the boat ride we discovered 2 new fun things to do with our future guests!
Thanks for the great weekend Michael! Again, it is hard for me to believe that you were able to drive and come and see us. This is the first of many visits!
7 comments:
GORGEOUS! I am so jealous! It's like you are on a perpetual vacation :-) Hope you are a wonderful week.
Shie-
Do people actually blow the big alp horn? Or did someone at one time?
Also very jealous -
Sarah Ann
I was wondering the same thing about the Alp horn when we first moved here. And yes, they still play it! It is on tv every once in a while and they can actually play some very challenging pieces on it! It is still a big part of culture here. I was surprised at the complexity of the songs considering that all the notes are changed with various air flows and things like that.
Very interesting!
- Emilie
Sounds very cool - I will have to google it sometime and see if I can find something that I can listen to.
- Sarah Ann
Ok, I put a short video of an Alp horn group on the blog for those curious viewers. It is actually quite amazing what they can do with these instruments! I got so many results when I went to Youtube and looked up the Alp horn. Have fun listening!
- Emilie
I like the guy in the middle in the jeans and cowboy hat instead of the liederhosen stuff. Of course I don't really know much about the cultural garb but I did notice the guy in jeans!
Thanks for the music - it's really cool!
Sarah Ann
I always think of the Ricola cough drop commercials when I see those things.
sam
Post a Comment