Greetings! Today my German class officially started. The day began with my first train and U-Bahn ride alone. I found my school quickly and met my teacher. There are 16 students in my class and about 14 different countries represented. There are 2 Americans and then there are people from Mexico, Peru, Sri Lanka, The Dominican Republic, Cameron, Iran, Bosnia, Japan, Thailand, France, Poland, Russia, New Zealand, Korea and the last one I forgot. It is pretty amazing and I am very happy to have this course started. My brain is swimming with new words and I know that I will learn very quickly being in this course. This class is 4 days a week for 4 hours a day. My teacher seems really nice and explains things in so many different ways that it is easy to understand her. All of the instruction is in German and I only heard her say one English word the whole day. There are really only about 4 or 5 people in the class who understand English anyway so it doesn't help everyone.

On another note... Jan and I had raclette last night with some friends. We all got together and prepared the meal together and made an evening out of it. For those of you who don't know what raclette is... Everyone gets his or her own small pan and you put whatever you want in it (usually there are a variety of meats, vegetables, cheese, and sometimes fruit). Then you put it in the oven in the middle of the table. The cheese melts over the top and it is so good! It is similar to fondue in the sense that you really have to take the time to enjoy it.
Here are a few more pictures...

Markus cooking the meat.

Jan cutting the vegetables.

Judith (Markus' wife)

Eike and Annika
2 comments:
It looks like so much fun, Emily! Thanks for sharing. I am glad you got into such a great class. I can't say that my six years of German classes was good. Maybe I was not motivated enough. I do think that having a real German teach the class and exclusively in German helps a lot. It is probably a good thing too that there are so many different nationalities represented. What a great experience God is blessing you guys with. Take Care. Jonas
Yeah, the many different nationalities are great. The interesting thing is that my teacher is actually from Iran. Her German is excellent and she speaks so clearly. So she was once in the same place as the students, studying the language for herself.
- Emilie
Post a Comment