Monday, March 14, 2011

The baking journey

This first picture is of Lina polishing off some chocolate cake I made for no reason other than the fact it sounded good. I guess that comes with pregnancy. :)
Two weekends ago I took a baking class that lasted all day Saturday. It was way over my head in some areas but I ended up learning something and trying some new things out at home.
I learned how to make flaky pastry dough so I tried it out in the picture below. It turned out really well!

I filled it with ham, leak, spices and some sour cream and it was really good!
I also learned how to make a Zopf bread. You can make it a little sweet if you want to. I was quite happy with my first attempts so I guess the class really paid off. Jan called the class a good "investment" in the family. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that just looks terrific and yummilicious! I just got really hungry.

Baking class sounds really fun.

j

Shie said...

So fun! The things you baked look sooooo yummy! That Zopf bread looks like the Jewish Challah bread. Do you know if they are similar?

I have thought about taking a class in bread baking as well, since I am not so good working with yeast - we'll see...!

Anonymous said...

your zopf looks perfect!!

Debi

Anonymous said...

Thanks all! Shie, I'm not sure if the Zopf bread has any relation to the Jewish Challah bread. I'll have to do some asking around. I encourage you to do the baking class. Working with yeast doesn't scare me as much anymore. :)

Blessings!
- Emilie

Anonymous said...

Uh Oh, seems I have a challenger for pie crust. You know your Grandmother has "secrets"

Uncle Bill.